Add --enable-debug to your configure and run it with the following additional
options

--leave-session-attached -mca plm_base_verbose 5

Let's see where it fails during the launch phase. Offhand, the only thing that
message means to me is that the ssh keys are botched on at least one node. Keep
in mind that we use a tree-based launch, and so when you have more than two
nodes, one or more of the intermediate nodes are executing an ssh.

One way to see if that's the problem is to launch without the tree spawn: add

-mca plm_rsh_no_tree_spawn 1

to your cmd line and see if it works.