Strange - I run on Mavericks now without problem. Can you run "mpirun -n 1
hostname"?

You also might want to check your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ensure you have
the prefix where you installed OMPI 1.6.5 at the front. Mac distributes a very
old version of OMPI with its software and you don't want to pick it up by
mistake.