Yep. That was the problem. It works beautifully now.

Thanks for prodding me to take another look.

With regards to openmpi-1.6.5, the system that I'm compiling and running on,
SLES10, contains some pretty dated software (e.g. Linux 2.6.x, python 2.4, gcc
4.1.2). Is it possible there's simply an incompatibility lurking in there
somewhere that would trip openmpi-1.6.5 but not openmpi-1.4.3?

Greg