On Feb 27, 2014, at 5:06 AM, Noam Bernstein <noam.bernst...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 2:36 AM, Patrick Begou
> <patrick.be...@legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:
>
>> Bernd Dammann wrote:
>>> Using the workaround '--bind-to-core' does only make sense for those jobs,
>>> that allocate full nodes, but the majority of our jobs don't do that.
>> Why ?
>> We still use this option in OpenMPI (1.6.x, 1.7.x) with OpenFOAM and other
>> applications to attach each process on its core because sometimes linux move
>> processes and 2 process can run on the same core, slowing the application.
>> Even if we do not use full nodes.
>> '--bind-to-core' is only not applicable if you mix OpenMP and MPI as all
>> your threads will be binded to the same core but I do not remember that
>> OpenFOAM does this yet.
>
> But if your jobs don't allocate full nodes and there are two jobs on the same
> node
> they can end up bound to the same subset of cores.  Torque cpusets should in
> principle be able to do this (queuing system allocates distinct sets of cores
> distinct jobs), but I've never used them myself.
>
> Here we've just basically given up on jobs that allocate a non-integer # of
> nodes.  In principle they can (and then I turn off bind by core), but hardly
> anyone
> does it except for some serial jobs.  Then again, we have a mix of 8 and 16
> core
> nodes.  If we had only 32 or 64 core nodes we might be less tolerant of this
> restriction.

I don't know if the original poster is using a resource manager or not, but we
can support multi-tenant operations regardless. If you are using a resource
manager, you can ask the RM to bind your allocation to a specific number of
cores on each node. OMPI will then respect that restriction, binding your
processes to cores within it.

If you aren't using a resource manager, or simply want to run multiple jobs on
your own dedicated nodes, you can impose the restriction yourself by just
adding the --cpu-set option to your cmd line:

mpirun --cpu-set 0-3 ...

will restrict OMPI to using the first four cores on each node. Any
comma-delimited set of ranges can be provided.

Even more mapping and binding options are provided in the 1.7 series, so you
might want to look at it.

HTH
Ralph