I used this script to launch mpi:

R_PROFILE_USER=~/KHC/sunbelt/Rmpiprofile
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/ross/install/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=/home/ross/install/bin:/home/ross/install/lib64/R/bin:$PATH orterun -x
R_PROFILE_USER -x LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
-x PATH -hostfile ~/KHC/sunbelt/hosts -np 18 R --no-save -q

For each remote node I get a message like
[n11:07642] Error: unknown option "--tree-spawn"

According to previous exchanges on this list that is a sign that the remote nodes are picking up the old system version of MPI instead of my new local one. Apparently the PATH values I exported are not used; presumably it's the same for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I found this surprising.

RTFM disclosed the --prefix argument to orterun, and that seems to do the trick.

Am I missing anything?

Ross Boylan