Ralph Castain <rhc.open...@gmail.com> writes:

> I confirmed that things are working as intended.

I could have been more explicit saying so before.

> If you have 12 cores on a machine, and you do
>
> mpirun -map-by socket:PE=2 <foo>
>
> we will execute 6 copies of foo on the node because 12 cores/2pe/core = 6
> procs.

For what it's worth, you need to be a bit careful testing.  1.6 works on
a single node without --loadbalance.

I'm fairly sure what Mark sees will be the result of messing with the
SGE internals, possibly combined with SGE core binding/cpuset
restrictions.  I've always found that confusing, and preferred to let
mpirun do the work, but there's no accounting for things in Yorkshire.