Daniel,

you can run
$ ompi_info --parseable --all | grep _algorithm: | grep enumerator

that will give you the list of supported algo for the collectives,
here is a sample output :

mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:0:ignore
mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:1:basic_linear
mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:2:nonoverlapping
mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:3:recursive_doubling
mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:4:ring
mca:coll:tuned:param:coll_tuned_allreduce_algorithm:enumerator:value:5:segmented_ring

the decision (which algo is used based on communicator size/message
size/...) is made in
ompi/mca/coll/tuned/coll_tuned_decision_fixed.c
and can be overriden via config file or environment variable

i cannot point you to a paper, and hopefully someone else will

Cheers,

Gilles