In addition to what Howard said, there's actually two other metrics that are
used, as well.  Each BTL exports a priority and an exclusivity value.

IIRC (it's been a while since I've looked at this code), the PML gathers up all
BTL modules that claim that they can communicate between a pair of peers, and
uses all the modules that share the same, highest exclusivity rating.

TCP has a lower exclusivity rating than OS-bypass BTLs (such as usnic and
openib).  Hence, even if TCP is available between a pair of peers, OS-bypass
transports will be preferred over TCP.