I never used MPI_Type_create_subarray, only MPI_Type_Vector.
What I like about MPI_Type_Vector is that you can define a stride,
hence you can address any regular pattern in memory.
However, it envisages the array layout in memory as a big 1-D array,
with a linear index progressing in either Fortran or C order.

Somebody correct me please if I am wrong, but at first sight MPI_Type_Vector sounds more flexible to me than MPI_Type_create_subarray, exactly because the latter doesn't have strides.

The downside is that you need to do some index arithmetic to figure
the right strides, etc, to match the corresponding
Fortran90 array sections.

There are good examples in the "MPI - The complete reference" books I suggested to you before (actually in vol 1).

Online I could find the two man pages (good information, but no example):

http://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v1.8/man3/MPI_Type_vector.3.php
http://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v1.8/man3/MPI_Type_create_subarray.3.php

There is a very simple 2D example of MPI_Type_vector using strides here:

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/mpi/#Derived_Data_Types

and a similar one here:

http://static.msi.umn.edu/tutorial/scicomp/general/MPI/content6.html

Gus Correa