I have pushed the changes to the OMPI master. It took a little bit more than I
had hoped due to the changes to the ORTE infrastructure, but hopefully this
will meet your needs. It consists of two new tools:

(a) orte-dvm - starts the virtual machine by launching a daemon on every node
of the allocation, as constrained by -host and/or -hostfile. Check the options
for outputting the URI as you’ll need that info for the other tool. The DVM
remains “up” until you issue the orte-submit -terminate command, or hit the
orte-dvm process with a sigterm.

(b) orte-submit - takes the place of mpirun. Basically just packages your app
and arguments and sends it to orte-dvm for execution. Requires the URI of
orte-dvm. The tool exits once the job has completed execution, though you can
run multiple jobs in parallel by backgrounding orte-submit or issuing commands
from separate shells.

I’ve added man pages for both tools, though they may not be complete. Also, I
don’t have all the mapping/ranking/binding options supported just yet as I
first wanted to see if this meets your basic needs before worrying about the
detail.

Let me know what you think
Ralph