I think Dave's point is that numactl-devel (and numactl) is only needed for
*building* Open MPI.  Users only need numactl to *run* Open MPI.

Specifically, numactl-devel contains the .h files we need to compile OMPI
against libnumactl:

$ rpm -ql numactl-devel
/usr/include/numa.h
/usr/include/numacompat1.h
/usr/include/numaif.h
/usr/lib64/libnuma.a
/usr/lib64/libnuma.so
/usr/share/man/man3/numa.3.gz

Note that the .so is a sym link to .so.1, in the main numactl package:

$ rpm -ql numactl
/usr/bin/memhog
/usr/bin/migratepages
/usr/bin/migspeed