Rick,

I re-read the MPI standard and was unable to figure out if sensorgroup is
MPI_GROUP_EMPTY or a group with task 1 on tasks except task 1
(A group that does not contain the current task makes little sense to me,
but I do not see any reason why this group have to be MPI_GROUP_EMPTY)

Regardless, sensorComm will be MPI_COMM_NULL except on task 1, so
MPI_Barrier will fail.

Cheers,

Gilles