You may want to run this by Penguin support, too.

I believe that Penguin on Demand use Torque, in which case the

    nodes=1:ppn=20

is requesting 20 cores on a single node.

If this is Torque, then you should get a host list, with counts by inserting

    uniq -c $PBS_NODEFILE

after the last #PBS directive.  That should print the host name and the
number 20.  MPI should resort to whatever it uses when it is on the same
node.

-- bennet