On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:47 PM, McGrattan, Kevin B. Dr. (Fed) <
kevin.mcgrat...@nist.gov> wrote:

> Thanks, George.
>

> Are persistent send/receives matched from the start of the calculation? If
> so, then I guess MPI_CANCEL won’t work.

A persistent request is only matched when it is started. The MPI_Cancel on
a persistent receive doesn't affect the persistent request itself, but
instead only cancel the started instance of the request.

>  I don’t think Open MPI is the problem. I think there is something wrong
> with our cluster in that it just seems to hang up on these big packages.
> The calculation successfully exchanges hundreds or thousands before just
> hanging.

While possible, it is highly unlikely that a message gets dropped by the
network without some kind of warning (system log at least). You might want
to take  a look in the dmesg to see if there is nothing unexpected there.

>  I’m not sure I understand completely your recommendation for dumping
> diagnostics. Is this documented somewhere?

Unfortunately not, this is basically a developer trick to dump the state of
the MPI library. This goes a little like this. Once you have attached a
debugger to your process (let's assume gdb), you need to find the
communicator where you have posted your requests (I can't help here this is
not part of the code you sent). With <communicator_index> set to this value:

gdb$ p ompi_comm_f_to_c_table.addr[<communicator_index>]

will give you the C pointer of the communicator.

gdb$ call mca_pml.pml_dump(
ompi_comm_f_to_c_table.addr[<communicator_index>], 1)

should print all the local known messages by the MPI library, including
pending sends and receives. This will also print additional information
(the status of the requests, the tag, the size, and so on) that can be
understood by the developers. If you post the info here, we might be able
to provide additional information on the issue.

George.