John,

can you run
free
before the first command and make sure you have all the physical and
available memory you expect  ?

then, after a failed
mpirun -np 1 ./helloWorld
can you run
dmesg
and look for messages from the OOM killer ?
that would indicate you are running out of memory.

maybe some unexpected things happen during the upgrade
(new services are now enabled, process limits were changed, new kernel is
way more memory hungry, swap was disabled, memory oversubscription
parameters were updated, or some of your memory is no more detected)

Cheers,

Gilles