Tim,

On 5/18/2017 2:44 PM, Tim Jim wrote:

In summary, I have attempted to install OpenMPI on Ubuntu 16.04 to the following prefix: /opt/openmpi-openmpi-2.1.0. I have also manually added the following to my .bashrc:
export PATH="/opt/openmpi/openmpi-2.1.0/bin:$PATH"
MPI_DIR=/opt/openmpi/openmpi-2.1.0
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MPI_DIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I later became aware that Ubuntu may handle the LD_LIBRARY_PATH differently and instead added a new file containing the library path /opt/openmpi/openmpi-2.1.0/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openmpi-2-1-0.conf, in the style of everything else in that directory.

about that specific issue, from a linux point of view, you have two options
- have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in your environment (manually on a per shell basis, via .bashrc on a per user basis, via /etc/profile.d/ompi.sh on a node basis) - system wide via /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openmpi-2-1-0.conf (note you must run 'ldconfig' after this file is created/updated)

Open MPI gives you an other option (that i always use and usually recommends) :
configure with --enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default
as long as you do not plan to relocate the openmpi install directory, you can use this option and you will not need to worry about LD_LIBRARY_PATH any more (and if you have several install of openmpi, they will live together in harmony)

fwiw, on HPC clusters, sysadmin usually install 'modules' or 'lmod', which is a user friendly way to set your environment with what you need.

Cheers,

Gilles