Keith,

MPI is running on both shared memory (e.g. one single node) and
distributed memory (e.g. several independent nodes).
here is what happens when you
mpirun -np <n> a.out

1. an orted process is remotely spawned to each node
2. mpirun and orted fork&exec a.out

unless a batch manager is used, remote spawn is implemented by SSH

note it is possible to
- use a custom SSH-like command
- use a custom command instead of the orted command
- use a wrapper when fork&exec'ing a.out

last but not least, an other option is direct run, but that requires
some support from the resource manager (e.g. a PMI(x) server)
for example, with SLURM, you can
srun a.out
and then slurm will remotely spawn a.out on all the nodes.

i am pretty sure Open MPI provides enough flexibility so with a
minimum a creativity, you can run a MPI app on unikernel.
if a ssh daemon runs in each unikernel, that should be straightforward.
if you want to run one orted and several a.out per unikernel, a bit of
creativity is needed (e.g. scripting and wrapping)
if you want to run a single a.out per unikernel, that is a bit
trickier since you have to somehow implement a PMIx server within each
unikernel

Cheers,

Gilles