Unless you are using mxm, you can disable tcp with

mpirun --mca pml ob1 --mca btl ^tcp ...

coll/tuned select an algorithm based on communicator size and message size. The
spike could occur because a suboptimal (on your cluster and with your job
topology) algo is selected.

Note you can force an algo, or redefine the rules of algo selection.

Cheers,

Gilles