> On Nov 5, 2017, at 6:48 AM, Florian Lindner <mailingli...@xgm.de> wrote:
>
> Am 04.11.2017 um 00:05 schrieb r...@open-mpi.org <mailto:r...@open-mpi.org>:
>> Yeah, there isn’t any way that is going to work in the 2.x series. I’m not
>> sure it was ever fixed, but you might try the latest 3.0, the 3.1rc, and
>> even master.
>>
>> The only methods that are known to work are:
>>
>> * connecting processes within the same mpirun - e.g., using comm_spawn
>
> That is not an option for our application.
>
>> * connecting processes across different mpiruns, with the ompi-server daemon
>> as the rendezvous point
>>
>> The old command line method (i.e., what you are trying to use) hasn’t been
>> much on the radar. I don’t know if someone else has picked it up or not...
>
> What do you mean with "the old command line method”.
>
> Isn't the ompi-server just another means of exchanging port names, i.e. the
> same I do using files?

No, it isn’t - there is a handshake that ompi-server facilitates.

> In my understanding, using Publish_name and Lookup_name or exchanging the
> information using files (or command line or stdin) shouldn't have any
> impact on the connection (Connect / Accept) itself.

Depends on the implementation underneath connect/accept.

The initial MPI standard authors had fixed in their minds that the
connect/accept handshake would take place over a TCP socket, and so no
intermediate rendezvous broker was involved. That isn’t how we’ve chosen to
implement it this time around, and so you do need the intermediary. If/when
some developer wants to add another method, they are welcome to do so - but the
general opinion was that the broker requirement was fine.

> Best,
> Florian
>

>> Ralph

>>> 2.1.1 @ Arch Linux.