Hi Diego

I (still) have Torque/PBS version 4.something in old clusters.
[Most people at this point already switched to Slurm.]

Torque/PBS comes with a tool named "pbsdsh" (for PBS distributed shell):

http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/torque/4-1-3/Content/topics/commands/pbsdsh.htm
https://wikis.nyu.edu/display/NYUHPC/PBSDSH
http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/support/torquepbsdsh.html

"pbsdsh" is able to launch *serial* jobs across the nodes that you allocate for
the job.
This allows you to run so called "embarrassingly parallel" tasks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarrassingly_parallel

Ebarrassingly parallel tasks (or programs) are those where the processes don't
need to communicate with each other (therefore would be feasible without MPI).

The link above lists some embarrassingly parallel tasks.
A trivial example would be, for instance, to run transliterate all uppercase
letters
to lowercase in a large number of text files, i.e. to run the "tr" command below

tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' < input${i}.txt > output{$i}.txt

where the file name index ${i} would be distributed across the various
processes.
"pbsdsh" can do it without MPI, because there is no need for one processor to
communicate with another processor to perform this.

However, pbsdsh is not unique at all.
There are other tools, independent of PBS, which can do the same if not more
than pbsdsh.
"Pdsh" is one of them (probably the most versatile and popular):

https://github.com/chaos/pdsh
https://linux.die.net/man/1/pdsh
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2014/166/Parallel-Shells
https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2014/12/linux-cluster-sysadmin-parallel-command-execution-with-pdsh/

[Some examples in the links above are "parallel system administration tasks",
some are user-level tasks.]

***

*However ... not all parallelizable problems are embarrassingly parallel!!!*
Actually, most are not embarrassingly parallel.
A whole very large class of common problems in science in engineering,
is to solve partial differential equations (PDE) using finite-differences (FD)
or similar methods
(finite elements, finite volume, pseudo-spectral, etc) through domain
decomposition.
This is  a typical example of a problem that is parallelizable, but not
embarrassingly parallel.
When solving PDE's with FD through domain decomposition, you have to exchange
the data on the sub-domain halos across the processors in charge of solving the
equation on each subdomain. This requires communication across the processors,
something that pbsdsh or pdsh cannot do, but MPI can (and so did the
predecessors of
MPI: p4, PVM, etc).
This class of problems includes most of computational fluid dynamics,
structural mechanics,
weather forecast, climate/oceans/atmosphere modeling, geodynamics, etc.
Many problem solving methods in molecular dynamics and computational chemistry
are not
embarrassingly parallel either.
There are many other classes of parallelizable problems that are not
embarrassingly parallel.

Ian Foster's book, although somewhat out of date in several aspects,
still provides some background on this:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/09ed/7308fdfb0b640077328aa4fd10ce429f511a.pdf

[Anybody in the list can suggest a recent book that with this type of
comprehensive approach to parallel programs, please?
The ones I know are restricted to MPI, or OpenMP, and so on.]

Do you know what type of problem you're trying to solve,
and whether it is embarrassingly parallel or not?
Which type of problem are you trying to solve?

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa