Hi,

Joshua Ladd <jladd.m...@gmail.com> writes:

> We cannot reproduce this. On four nodes 20 PPN with and w/o hcoll it
> takes exactly the same 19 secs (80 ranks).
>
> What version of HCOLL are you using? Command line?

Thanks for having a look at this.

According to ompi_info, our OpenMPI (version 3.0.1) was configured with
(and gcc version 7.2.0):

,----
|   Configure command line: 'CFLAGS=-I/apps/OPENMPI/SRC/PMI/include'
|                           '--prefix=/storage/apps/OPENMPI/3.0.1/gnu'
|                           '--with-mxm=/opt/mellanox/mxm'
|                           '--with-hcoll=/opt/mellanox/hcoll'
|                           '--with-knem=/opt/knem-1.1.2.90mlnx2'
|                           '--with-slurm' '--with-pmi=/usr'
|                           '--with-pmi-libdir=/usr/lib64'

'--with-platform=../contrib/platform/mellanox/optimized'
`----

Not sure if there is a better way to find out the HCOLL version, but the
file hcoll_version.h in /opt/mellanox/hcoll/include/hcoll/api/ says we
have version 3.8.1649

Code compiled as:

,----
| $ mpicc -o test_t thread_io.c test.c
`----

To run the tests, I just submit the job to Slurm with the following
script (changing the coll_hcoll_enable param accordingly):

,----
| #!/bin/bash
| #
| #SBATCH -J test
| #SBATCH -N 5
| #SBATCH -n 51
| #SBATCH -t 00:07:00
| #SBATCH -o test-%j.out
| #SBATCH -e test-%j.err
| #SBATCH -D .
|
| module purge
| module load openmpi/gnu/3.0.1
|
| time mpirun --mca coll_hcoll_enable 1 -np 51 ./test_t
`----

In the latest test I managed to squeeze in our queuing system, the
hcoll-disabled run took ~3.5s, and the hcoll-enabled one ~43.5s (in this
one I actually commented out all the fprintf statements just in case, so
the code was pure communication).

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente

Tel.: +34 922 605 747
Web.: http://research.iac.es/proyecto/polmag/
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de
Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning
the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en