On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 08:07:47PM +0000, Ralph Castain via users wrote:
> IIRC, the correct syntax is:
>
> prun -host +e ...
>
> This tells PRRTE that you want empty nodes for this application. You can even
> specify how many empty nodes you want:
>
> prun -host +e:2 ...
>
> I haven't tested that in a bit, so please let us know if it works or not so
> we can fix it if necessary.

Works! Thank you.

$ prun --map-by ppr:64:node --host +e -n 1  ./mpitest &
$ prun --map-by ppr:64:node --host +e -n 1  ./mpitest &

        MPI World size = 1 processes
        Hello World from rank 0 running on nid03835 (hostname nid03835)!

        MPI World size = 1 processes
        Hello World from rank 0 running on nid03834 (hostname nid03834)!

Should I PR a patch to prun manpage to change this:

       -H, -host, --host <host1,host2,...,hostN>
                     List of hosts on which to invoke processes.

to something like this?:

       -H, -host, --host <host1,host2,...,hostN>
                     List of hosts on which to invoke processes. Pass
                     +e to allocate only onto empty nodes (i.e. none of
                     whose cores have been allocated to other prun jobs) or
                     +e:N to allocate to nodes at least N of which are empty.