In addition to what Gilles mentioned, I'm curious: is there a reason you have
hardware threads enabled?  You could disable them in the BIOS, and then each of
your MPI processes can use the full core, not just a single hardware thread.
________________________________
From: users <users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of Luis Cebamanos via
users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2023 7:10 AM
To: Ralph Castain via users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: Luis Cebamanos <luic...@gmail.com>
Subject: [OMPI users] Binding to thread 0

Hello,

Up to now, I have been using numerous ways of binding with wrappers (numactl,
taskset) whenever I wanted to play with core placing. Another way I have been
using is via -rankfile, however I notice that some ranks jump from thread 0 to
thread 1 on SMT chips. I can control this with numactl for instance, but it
would be great to see similar behaviour when using -rankfile. Is there a way to
pack all ranks to one of the threads of each core (preferibly to thread 0) so I
can nicely see all ranks with htop on either left or right of the screen?

The command I am using is pretty simple:

mpirun -np $MPIRANKS --rankfile ./myrankfile

and ./myrankfile looks like

rank 33=argon slot=33
rank 34=argon slot=34
rank 35=argon slot=35