http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/matthew.thompson

From: users <users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of "Thompson, Matt
(GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] via users"
<users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 3:12 PM
To: Open MPI Users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: "Thompson, Matt (GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]"
<matthew.thomp...@nasa.gov>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [BULK] [OMPI users] Issue configuring Open MPI 4.1.5 and
5.0.0rc12 with Apple Clang 15

Dear Open MPI List,

First, let me say I tried searching on this, but my google-fu and github-fu
failed. To wit, this morning, my work Mac was updated to Clang 15:

❯ clang --version
Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1)
Target: arm64-apple-darwin22.6.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
❯ xcodebuild -version
Xcode 15.0
Build version 15A240d

And I found things that used to work, didn't. So, time to rebuild my stack
starting with Open MPI 4.1.5. Following what I did before, I run:

❯ ../configure --disable-wrapper-rpath --disable-wrapper-runpath \
CC=clang CXX=clang++ FC=gfortran-12 \
--prefix=$HOME/installed/Compiler/clang-gfortran-12/openmpi/4.1.5 |& tee
configure.clang-gfortran-12.log

Which uses clang and clang++ for C and C++ and gfortran-12 from brew as my FC.

And when I do that I get:

checking if .note.GNU-stack is needed...
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/objdump:
 error: 'conftest.o': Invalid/Unsupported object file format
no
checking suffix for labels... :
checking prefix for global symbol labels... none
configure: error: Could not determine global symbol label prefix

I'm attaching a tar ball of the two log files.

Note: I did try the same thing without "--disable-wrapper-rpath
--disable-wrapper-runpath" (these flags I've had for a long time and, well,
they work, so I keep using them), and I got the same error from configure.

I tried the same thing with Open MPI 4.1.6rc2 and it failed the same, but Open
MPI 5.0.0rc12 gets past this.  I had to add:

--with-hwloc=internal --with-libevent=internal --with-pmix=internal

to my configure line because I guess these are now needed in Open MPI 5 and I
guess configure couldn't see libevent from brew (?? I'm new to Open MPI 5, so I
might get this wrong)

Matt

PS: The build threw a lot of:

ld: warning: -dylib_file is deprecated. Use -F or -L to control where indirect
dylibs are found

so maybe Xcode changed that as well...

--
Matt Thompson, SSAI, Ld Scientific Prog/Analyst/Super
NASA GSFC,    Global Modeling and Assimilation Office