From: users <users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of Belanger, Martin
via users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2023 10:55 AM
To: users@lists.open-mpi.org <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: Belanger, Martin <martin.belan...@dell.com>; jul...@rilli.eu
<jul...@rilli.eu>
Subject: [OMPI users] MPI Wireshark Packet Dissector

I’m new to MPI and I needed to analyze MPI packets with Wireshark. I found
Julian Rilli’s “mpi-dissector” project on GitHub
(https://github.com/juhulian/mpi-dissector). The project is about 9 years old
and does not compile with the latest Wireshark code. Fortunately, I was able to
port it, build it, and make it work.

It is not clear which version of the MPI protocol this project supports.
Suffice it to say that since the code is 9 years old, it probably does not
support all of the MPI protocol changes/additions made in the last 9 years.

I wanted to share this with the Open-MPI community in case someone is
interested and would like to update the code to support the latest version of
MPI (I don’t know enough about MPI to do this work myself). Eventually, I will
submit this to the Wireshark project so that it can be part of Wireshark going
forward.

For anyone interested, the ported code can be found in my fork of the Wireshark
repo:
https://gitlab.com/martin-belanger/wireshark/-/tree/mpi-support-v1?ref_type=heads.
 It can be cloned as follows:

git clone -b mpi-support-v1 https://gitlab.com/martin-belanger/wireshark.git