Hello Richard

On 17.10.2011 12:45, Richard Palmer wrote:
        Or perhaps the backup agent should run inside each virtual machine
        rather than backing up the vm image ?. Any advantages/disadvantages ?

Personally I would run the bacula-fd inside the VM and back it up as I do it with a physical systems. The advantage is, that the OS in the VM is running without any interruption.

With the stopped/suspended VM and backing up the image file, you have the advantage of doing a snapshot backup of the file system of the VM. But then it would probably also help to backup the memory of the running VM (does the OpenNebula or Hypervisor write this to disk when doing 'onevm suspend <vm_id>'?). But the disadvantage is the paused OS during the backup, any running services on it (eg. web sites) are not available then. And probably also currently open network connections can break. This depends of the duration of the backup.

I guess the decision depends also of the usage of the VM. Both scenarios have advantages and disadvantages.

bye
Fabian