We (CloudWeavers) are a small startup that provides a toolkit for
creating private clouds, based on OpenNebula and XtreemFS as shared
storage engine. We evaluated
basically all the other toolkits on the market, and these were our findings:
OpenStack: clean design (similar to opennebula under many aspects),
immature (at least Diablo...) Swift storage is veery amazon-like, but
slow and cpu intensive
Eucalyptus: the OSS edition is years behind the commercial version,
and missing many important things
CloudStack: monolythic, nice looking but terribly complex to debug if
something does not work properly. Heavy (Heavy!!!). Difficult to
extend.
Opennebula was for us much simpler to explore, adapt and customize;
core is clean and small, most other things are manageable scripts. We
found it stable, simple, and since we don't need to create an AWS
lookalike (what is good for Amazon not necessarily is good for a
smaller private cloud) it was our best choice. We have several
commercial customers, some quite large (15000 users) and up to now we
are extremely satisfied with it. As a second aspect, we are quite
involved in EU research projects, and there OpenNebula is the clear
winner, I suppose for the same reason.
Carlo Daffara
CloudWeavers