Hi Den,

You don't need to "translate" the Dockerfile to a template. Instead, you
can create a Docker build that will build an image out of the Dockerfile
and can be deployed in OpenShift.

https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/builds.html#defining-a-buildconfig
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/builds.html#docker-strategy-options

You can also create a template that will automated the creation of a
BuildConfig, a DeploymentConfig, a Service, etc, see this example:
https://github.com/openshift/origin/blob/master/examples/sample-app/application-template-dockerbuild.json

In the example, the BuildConfig.spec.source refers to a git repository that
contains a Dockerfile. You can also use an inline Dockerfile as a source of
your BuildConfig:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/builds.html#dockerfile-source

--
Rodolfo Carvalho