On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Srinivas Naga Kotaru (skotaru) <
skot...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Will ansible will touch existing configuration  and by any chance it will
>  overwrite custom config put into ?

If running the full configuration playbooks, yes Ansible will overwrite
custom configuration of the following files (at least):
- /etc/origin/master/master-config.yaml
- /etc/origin/master/scheduler.json
- /etc/origin/node/node-config.yaml
- /etc/sysconfig/{origin,atomic-enterprise}-*
- systemd unit files for ha master services
- /etc/sysconfig/docker
- ...

The goals of the configuration playbooks are to be able to continually
manage a system in addition to installation.

If running the upgrade playbooks, we limit the changes made to the
configuration files to the limit subset of configuration that we need to
update. We use a custom ansible module to read in the YAML files, process
the limited changes and write the file back out.

If you are running the scaleup.yml playbook, the only tasks done on the
master(s) (other than gather facts from them), is to generate the new
certificates/kubeconfigs for the new nodes. The playbook then goes on to
configure the new nodes only (leaving the existing nodes untouched). This
does require defining the new nodes in a [new_nodes] group instead of just
adding them onto the [nodes] group.

> Just adding a new node, steps required looks scare me ( both ansible and
> manual). Can we do better job here by automating this task and guaranteed
> no disruption to existing cluster health?

The scaleup.yml playbook already does this. If your environment was
installed with the openshift-ansible-installer, then you can also use that
tool for configuring the new nodes as well. Eventually the installer tool
will be able to work against a previously installed cluster, but we still
have a bit of work to make that happen.

--
Jason DeTiberus