Josh Berkus wrote on 07/21/16 23:54:
On 07/21/2016 01:40 PM, Alex Wauck wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Josh Berkus <jber...@redhat.com
<mailto:jber...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    There is no external DNS server, here.  I'm talking about a portable
    microcluster, a stack of microboard computers, self-contained.  The idea
    would be to run some kind of local DNS server so that, on directly
    connected machines, we could point to that in DNS and it would expose
    the services.

    I suppose I can just bootstrap that, maybe as a system container ...

If it's a bunch of microboard computers, I'd be tempted to just stick
one more in there and run BIND on it.  Are you running a DHCP server, or
are all IP addresses statically assigned?

There's a DHCP server, but it's a cheap router, so it can't do DNS.
Mind you, I've configured the router to assign specific addresses to all
the cards.

I'd rather not add another card to the stack, though, they're $200 each
with the accessories.

I'm pretty sure using plain IPs will also work. question as I understand
is though where to put the automatic routes subdomain.

Right.

If you have only one router node (which might be ok in your case), you
can use xip.io and configure the subdomain to something like:
apps.10.0.5.122.xip.io

That would be easiest unless your local network blocks private IP

Well, the network is self-contained, pretty much.  Everything is behind
a NAT router, so I can do whatever I want, I just need to build it.

Then use plain IPs for nodes and masters. Then use xip.io for automatic generated DNS names pointing at your NAT router. Make sure NAT router forwards 80 and 443 to OpenShift cluster 80 and 443 ports respectively
of working router node(s).

Above has highest chance to work nice OOB.

Alternatively buy a router that can have OpenWRT installed. Or run DNS in container as you pointed out earlier.

Btw running the app DNS in OpenShift is not exactly catch 22. If you know the subdomain name beforehand (which is easy), then you use that subdomain in openshift configuration while installing. Then you start a DNS pod (you'll have to use node ports feature to expose it to the outside world) to serve that subdomain.

But using xip.io is better as it will not require client computers DNS reconfiguration.

HTH