Hi there,

I'm not an expert regarding the registry by any means, but since nobody
else has replied, I just wanted to share some thoughts.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 5:59 AM, v <vekt...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we would like to deploy our first multi-tenant OpenShift Cluster and we'd
> like to have all customers as separated as possible. For this reason we
> would like to give each customer his/her own docker registry and registry
> storage.

OpenShift is designed for multi-tenancy, including the networking stack
(that's why we have OpenShift SDN) and the registry (the registry itself is
shared, but our registry has integrated security for the multi-tenant use
case).  It's worth noting that the code in OpenShift Origin eventually
becomes the code that we run on our multi-tenant public cloud, OpenShift
Online.

There is some ongoing work to integrate our Atomic Registry into OpenShift
as this would provide better management capabilities:
https://trello.com/c/0hsX6B4G/210-enterprise-image-registry-atomic-registry

That said, configuring individual registries would indeed give the best
isolation, though at the cost of (potentially significant) administrative
overhead, as you will need to monitor/manage many registries instead of
just one.  On the other hand, the advantage is that downtime of the
registry would only affect individual tenants, so it really depends on your
use case.

> We thought we'd create a registry-pod in every project. Should we just use
> the official docker registry image from the docker hub or should we use
> openshift/origin-docker-registry?

I'm biased, since I work for Red Hat, but I'd suggest trying the Atomic
Registry as it comes with sophisticated security controls and a management
interface.  Just a personal preference - I like graphical interfaces versus
doing stuff on the command line.

If you do go the route of having individual registries for each project,
you'll need to tell projects where to push images:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/builds.html#build-output

I think this also means that our built-in tools for managing registries
will be unusable:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/admin_guide/monitoring_images.html

> What is the "best practice" concerning the handling of docker registries
> in multi-tenant clusters?

I'd suggest just sticking to what we ship (a multi-tenant-aware registry)
and using that, as it's well-tested and fairly flexible:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/docker_registry.html#advanced-overriding-the-registry-configuration

--
Jonathan Yu, P.Eng. / Software Engineer, OpenShift by Red Hat / Twitter
(@jawnsy) is the quickest way to my heart <https://twitter.com/jawnsy>

*“A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work
and his play; his labor and his leisure; his mind and his body; his
education and his recreation. He hardly knows which is which. He simply
pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves
others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always
appears to be doing both.”* — L. P. Jacks, Education through Recreation
(1932), p. 1