On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Cameron Braid <came...@braid.com.au> wrote:

> I'm working on an origin master native HA setup
>
> The docs say : The advanced installation method does not currently support
> multiple HAProxy load balancers in an active-passive setup.
> https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/
> advanced_install.html#multiple-masters
>
> 1) Doesn't that mean that the load balancer would be a single point of
> failure ?

Yes, the haproxy instance installed is meant to be a stop-gap until an HA
load balancing solution can be provided. If an external load balancer
solution can be pre-configured, then skipping the definition of the [lb]
host, should be sufficient for installation.

2) is it just the installation method that doesn't support installing
> multiple instances? I.e. I presume I can setup my own redundant ha proxy
> load banalcers and point them all to the three master nodes ?

Correct, or any other LB solution.

> 3) what is the difference between openshift_master_cluster_hostname and
> openshift_master_cluster_public_hostname. Am I right in saying that the
> nodes will resolve the master api via openshift_master_cluster_hostname
> and the openshift_master_cluster_public_hostname is for things like the
> oc client tool ?

Yes. The distinction is to better support cloud or NAT environments where
user access to the API or console would be over a separate network/DNS name
from internal cluster traffic.

> 4) is there a way to get the masters to listen on a different port ?

Setting openshift_master_api_port and openshift_master_console_port would
override the default port.

5) say I run 3 masters. If I connect to a passive master port 8443, will it
> proxy traffic to the active master ? Or will it respond with a failing
> health check so that the loadbalancer takes it out of service ?

The API servers run as active/active. The
origin-controllers/atomic-openshift-controllers service will only be active
on a single host in the cluster (handled through a lock held in etcd).

The API service also exposes /healthz/ready which can be used for
configuring load balancer health checks.

--
Jason DeTiberus