For routes, this is not a limitation of the GUI, it is an intentional
limitation of the platform.  You can't change your hostname because the
router needs a way to decide which route wins when multiple routes ask for
the same hostname.  Right now this is done based on age of the route
(oldest wins).  If you changed your hostname on an old route, you could
steal someone else's hostname they had previously been granted.  Hence the
requirement that you create a new route if you need a new hostname.  If
there are any plans to change how this is done the networking team would
need to chime in.  Note: the exception is that a cluster admin is allowed
to change the hostname on a route

For authenticating to git servers, have you seen this feature: https://blog.
openshift.com/wp-content/uploads/wn34-3-secret-editor.gif
Originally added as part of 3.4 https://blog.openshift.
com/whats-new-in-openshift-3-4-enhanced-usability/