When you were experiencing the outage was ALB listing 2/3 healthy
backends?  I’m not as familiar with ALB over ELB, but what you are
describing sounds like the frontend only was able to see one of the pods.

On Sep 2, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Stan Varlamov <stan.varla...@exlinc.com> wrote:

AWS ALB

*From:* Clayton Coleman <ccole...@redhat.com>
*Sent:* Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:11 PM
*To:* Stan Varlamov <stan.varla...@exlinc.com>
*Cc:* users@lists.openshift.redhat.com
*Subject:* Re: 3.9 Default Router Malfunction When 1 of 3 Pods is Down

Routers all watch all routes.  What are you fronting your routers with for
HA?  VRRP?  An F5 or cloud load balancer?  DNS?

On Sep 2, 2018, at 6:18 AM, Stan Varlamov <stan.varla...@exlinc.com> wrote:

Went through a pretty scary experience of partial and uncontrollable outage
in a 3.9 cluster that happened to be caused by issues in the default out of
the box Router. The original installation had 3 region=infra nodes where
the 3 router pods got installed via the generic ansible cluster
installation. 2 of the 3 nodes where subsequently re-labeled at some point
in the past, and after one node was restarted, over sudden, random routes
started “disappearing”, causing 502s. I noticed that one of the 3 Router
pods was in pending – due to lack of available nodes. Bottom line, till I
got all 3 pods back into operation (tried dropping nodeselector
requirements but ended up re-labeling the nodes back to infra) – the routes
would not come back. I would expect that even one working Router can
control all routes in the cluster – no. I couldn’t find a pattern which
routes were off vs. those that stayed on, and some routes would pop in and
out of operation. Is there something in the Router design that relies on
all its pods working? Appears that individual Router pods are “responsible”
for some routes in the cluster vs. just doing redundancy.