On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM Fox, Kevin M <kevin....@pnnl.gov> wrote:

> So, last I heard OpenShift was starting to modularize, so it could load
> the OpenShift parts as extensions to the kube-apiserver? Has this been
> completed? Maybe the idea below of being able to deploy vanilla k8s is
> workable as the OpenShift parts could easily be added on top?

OpenShift in 3.x was a core control plane plus 3-5 components.  In 4.x it's
a kube control plane, a bunch of core wiring, the OS, the installer, and
then a good 30 other components.  OpenShift 4 is so far beyond "vanilla
kube + extensions" now that while it's probably technically possible to do
that, it's less of "openshift" and more of "a kube cluster with a few
APIs".  I.e. openshift is machine management, automated updates, integrated
monitoring, etc.