On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 04:47:09PM -0400, Just Marvin wrote:
> Daniel,
>
>     I appreciate the insights into the challenges. The goal that you
> stated, though, is going to be hard to achieve with a limitation of
> bare-metal only for developers. See the other thread in this forum for the
> service mesh. The kind of resource requirements, as stated in that thread,
> needed to do something like that on CRC will rarely be found on a developer
> laptop. So, for someone like me, the choice really boils down to running a
> full-fledged OCP on a dedicated machine / VM if I want to try out /
> experience something like the OpenShift Service Mesh. And such dedicated
> machines / VMs are hard to come by unless one uses the public cloud. So, I
> hope that running in such an environment becomes easier for CRC.
>
> Regards,
> Marvin

   Hi Marvin,

  Hum, there is something I don't understand,
if you are going to use a dedicated machine to run your OCP workload, why
not run the full install then. We made a number of choice to be able to
adapt to the laptop situation:
  - single node, hence only one VM to minimize the memory footprint
    and trashing between competing VMs
  - pre-baked installation, so that CRC is usable nearly immediately
    after download compared to the time it would take to run the installer
    fetch everything and run the install process on a laptop hard drive
  - disable a number of operators which are part of a full fledged install
    of OCP to reduce the memory footprint, most notably the telemetry part.

  Some of those I would avoid if I were to install my devel cluster on
a 64 GB tower I have laying around in my office. The install would have to
be done once, not on my main machine so no big deal if it takes one hour,
it would be closer in behaviour to a full cluster on AWS too.

  We added back last year the minishift --remote for those use case because
TBH running the Ansible playbook for 3.x on a random Linux install was a bit
of a challenge. But for CRC  that's not really possible, we don't run the
installer, it's pre-cooked, and requires the CoreOS base, so I don't see
how we could ever do this.

  One of the scenario we could try is to take the installed bundle VM content
and try to run it inside a container instead of a VM, but that means no
guarantee on the kernel behaviour, nor system library, and sorting out
networking would likely be case by case.

  I wonder if the real solution isn't for those case to make it easier
for people to run the libvirt side of the installer directly. Another option
is the Ansible route, though TBH I don't know how well that's supported
in 4.x

   Hope this makes sense,

Daniel