No, you aren't overlooking anything.  What you describe is what happens.  User
B answers with a different port in the 200 but the rtp continues to source from
the same port.  The media relay just doesn't forward those packets.

I will try to get set back up to make some calls with this ALG device early
this week and send the traces.

Richard