On 11/30/2012 07:24 PM, Ryan Bullock wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bog...@opensips.org <mailto:bog...@opensips.org>> wrote:

    Hi Ali,

    Thanks for feedback - regarding the support for previous releases,
    Saul raised the same point as you, and I have to admit I didn't do
    the math - 2 release ~= 1 year, which indeed is too short - I mean
    this will force an upgrade each year.

    So, we need to somehow get to ~ 2 year lifetime for a release. My
    suggestion is to actually set a life span for 2 years.

    OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
    http://www.opensips-solutions.com

What about adding a long term support branch that is released every two years and supported for 2 years, and then a release every 6 months for 'standard' releases. Each standard release would be supported for 1 year.

Something like this, assuming 1.10 is the first long term support:
1.10 - Long term support (2 years)
1.11 - Standard release (1 year)
1.12 - Standard release (1 year)
1.13 - Standard release (1 year)
1.14 - Long term support (2 years)

Those wanting new features can go for the standard releases, and those looking for stability and better support can stick with the long term support releases. It should strike a decent balance between getting features out the door and support.
Hi Ryan,

By doing that ^^^ it means not all releases will be alike (and the so-far assumption is that all major release are alike) - or I'm missing something here.

I like this approach as this will imply less maintaining work for developers :), but I dislike it as it will more difficult to understand and upgrade (for users).
Do you know any project using something like that ?

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan