The automatic mode is much more efficient. It triggers in pre-recieve callbacks before any message parsing is even done. In automatic mode you would simply say if(ip==trusted){drop;} in your pike route block.

Automatic mode will also trigger on replies.

Basically - you should use automatic mode and not be concerned about the performance as it is definitely faster than manual mode.

-Eric