Hi John,

That is difference between a locally generated timeout (your scenario 1) and a received timeout (scenario 2) - to see which one is, in failure route you can use the t_local_replied() function from tm :
http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.2.x/tm.html#id295063

OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com