No, not fdopen, that will just open a FILE* out of a file descriptor. The async mechanism works directly with a file descriptor. I've quickly checked the lua API, and I couldn't see any mechanisms that you could use - in this case, you should probably "simulate" an external process that gets "lua jobs" and executes them asynchronously, and returns a file descriptor that can be tracked down to see the whether the exec completed. I'll have to admit, this doesn't see easy :(.

Best regards,

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Core Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com