> From: paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
> To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:42:06 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] tpss: too many bands are not converged
>
> On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 09:03 -0400, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
>> By free volume, you mean places where n and likely grad everything are
>> numerical noise?
>
> exactly: the regions of space where the charge has decayed to noise.
> Apparently (the current implementation of) meta-GGA doesn't like the
> presence of such large regions (and it doesn't seem to like H atoms
> as well). Even plain GGA diverges in those regions: it is less of a
> problem, but still, the exact energy values depend upon how the

Does it actually diverge or just reach some kind of limit cycle with
amplitude in energy greater than convergence criteria? ?

> potential is cut off. The divergence comes from gradient corrections
> to exchange: there is no divergence in atoms with the correct large-r

so this is related to PP and lack of exponential decay giving more weight
to "free volume" than it should physically have? I had been doing some
tests with analytical hydrogen since it was easy to check :) That is not noise
alone then but a modelling issue.?

> limit of the charge density, but this is not of much help in plane-wave
> calculations of condensed-matter systems.

Molecular crystals better or worse than say metals??

>From what I can tell of the TPSS "z" anyway, trying to calculate it
as a ratio of intermediate real quantities seems to allow for many errors
such as aliasing that may occur by taking magnitudes. ?I did some
algebra it looks like the magnitude of the grad of the wf angle is more direct
but I have
not checked the math or tested it much although IIRC some related results
vs analytical hydrogen did not appear obviously wrong but this was hardly a
complete test.

> (disclaimer: this is what I remember. I looked at this problem several
> years ago for meta-GGA, many years ago for GGA)

Thanks, I'm just trying to understand a few things and see if I can play with
the problematic terms and evaluate some alternatives.