According to the pseudopotential theory, the reference electronic
configuration used to generate a pseudopotential shouldn't matter, as long
as it is not too different from the one encountered in the molecule or
solid. In practice, one may have to tweak the electronic configuration ii
order to avoid ghost states, improve transferability, etc.

Paolo

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:57 PM Victor Bermudez <bermu...@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I have a question about Mo pseudopotentials. The ground-state valence
> configuration of a Mo atom is usually given as (4s)2 (5s)1 (4p)6 (4d)5 .
> Some pseudopotentials use this configuration, while others use (4s)2 (5s)2
> (4p)6 (4d)4. Why the difference, and is it significant ? I suspect that it
> doesn't matter because the SCF process should converge to the lowest-energy
> configuration regardless of the starting configuration. Is that correct ?
>    Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Vic Bermudez (US Naval Research Lab. - Retired)

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222