Hello QE users,

As I understood that thestarting_magnetization is used to break the spin symmetry and can affect the solution. When I did a simple calculation changing starting_magnetization, it always converged to the same ground state. However, I noticed that for other structures, this is not the case. Since there are many local minima, the starting_magnetization value determines on what magnetic solution the calculation converges to. So my question is then how we should choose it? For example, I am trying to simulate a Cu dopant in ZnS. Since Cu2+ has 9 electron in its 3d subshell, a neutral dopant then only has 1 unpaired electron. So, should I expect 1 Bohr mag/cell? When I set tot_charge=-1 to simulate a charged defect, I got everything as 0.0000 as expected since there will be no unpaired electron. But simulating the neutral dopant, I am getting 0.00 total and absolute magnetization. Inspecting the projwfc.x output, I see that the dopant atom has 0.0018 polarization. Why is this the case? Why not the polarization is 1.00 or close to 1?

My second question is how I can correctly convert my expected magnetization to starting magnetization value. For example, if I expect the magnetization per cell to be 3 Bohr magneton, what should I choose as the starting_magnetization? It seems total magnetization, absolute magnetization, polarization etc. are in Bohr magneton unit but not the starting_magnetization. I cannot choose starting_magnetization = 3 since it should be between -1 to +1. So, how to choose starting_magnetization in this case?

Sincerely,
Abdul Muhaymin,
Graduate(MS) Student, Institute of Materials Science and Nanotechnology,
Bilkent University, Ankara