Do you use open_basedir?
If yes, you need to add some directories to the path.
Here my vhost config:

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:80>
        ServerName myroundcube.example.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/roundcube
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/roundcube_access_log common
        php_admin_value open_basedir
"/var/www/roundcube/:/tmp/:/usr/lib/php"
        php_admin_value file_uploads 1

        <Directory "/var/www/roundcube">
        AllowOverride All
        Options +FollowSymlinks
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Where /usr/lib/php is the path to the shared PHP libraries (including pear).