I got it, thanks.

> Still not connecting, and I'm on a different network:
>
> Connecting to ssl://imap.gmail.com...
> IMAP connect:  NOT OK(Login failed for **** from ****. Could not connect
> to ssl://imap.gmail.com:993: Connection timed out)

Strange. What PHP Version are you using?

> Also, your file was named config.inc.php, but it said to use main.inc.php.

Sorry, my bad. Copied the cat output locally and saved it mistakenly as
config.inc.php. Of course the real file name should be main.inc.php.

> Also also, is it better to use PHPMail() as the SMTP server?

It's up to you. I've been using phpmail() and I haven't had any problems.
But my Roundcube installations are running on localhost IMAP servers, so
for external mail servers (like in your case gmail) SMTP server should be
used.