Just my 2p:

- The most functional and best looking calendar (to my eye) is the kolab calendar. However, it's completely non caldav and adding that would be some work. Spend your money here if you want the best. (Actually also a potentially great todo and contacts app)

- Owncloud is the route I'm going down for the moment. I'm embedding roundcube into an iframe. I need to tweak the plugin so that it automatically logs in using the owncloud credentials

- I have an SQL auth plugin for owncloud so that it auths off the same DB as roundcube

- The main piece I'm missing is sync of the contacts between roundcube and owncloud. I propose to work on making roundcube read the owncloud DB format and then literally the two are the same (use a view of linked table to connect the databases). I hope to work on this over the next week.

- Owncloud gives you reasonably good DAV sharing for carddav, caldav and also files. The web api needs to mature a little, but seems decent enough. It's based on sabredav, so of course you can also speak to the author of that about any additional DAV features that you want supported

Good luck

Ed W