We're proud to announce that the beta release of the next major
version 1.2 of Roundcube webmail is out now for download and testing.
With this milestone
we introduce new features primarily focusing on security and PGP encryption:

* PHP7 compatibility
* PGP encryption
* Drag-n-drop attachments from mail preview to compose window
* Mail messages searching with predefined date interval
* Improved security measures to protect from brute-force attacks

And of course plenty of small improvements and bug fixes.

The PGP encryption support in Roundcube comes with two options:

Mailvelope
--------------
The integration of this browser plugin [1] for Firefox and Chrome
comes  out of the box in Roundcube 1.2 and is enabled if the
Mailvelope API is detected in a user's browser. See the Mailvelope
documentation [2] how to enable it for your site.

Read more about the Mailvelope integration and how this looks like in
Alec's blog [3].

Enigma plugin
-------------------
This Roundcube plugin adds server-side PGP encryption features to
Roundcube. Enabling this means that users need to fully trust the
webmail server as encryption is done on the server GnuPG and private
keys are also stored there.

In order to activate server-side PGP encryption for all your users,
the 'enigma' plugin, which is shipped with this package, has to be
enabled in the Roundcube config. See the plugin's README for details.

Also read Alec's blogpost about the Enigma plugin and how it works [4].

Both encryption features are pretty new and not yet perfectly
documented. We'd much appreciate your feedback and your contribution
to the end-user documentation [5] or our wiki page [6].

IMPORTANT: with this version, we finally deprecate some old Roundcube
library functions [7]. Plugin developers, please test your plugins
thoroughly and look for deprecation warnings in the logs. These
function will be removed in the final 1.2.0 release and can therefore
render plugins dysfunctional.

See the full changelog on trac.roundcube.net [8] and download the new
packages from https://roundcube.net/download

Please note that this is a beta release and we recommend to test it on
a separate environment. And don't forget to backup your data before
installing it!

Enjoy and please share your experience either through our mailing
lists or as comments in the blog posts mentioned above.

Kind regards,
Thomas

[1] https://www.mailvelope.com
[2] https://www.mailvelope.com/en/help#watchlist