On 29/12/2020 16:39, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
As well, i must confess that having a ALT+X or any other keys shortcut able to convert a series of 2 to 4 input unicodes to the corresponding character -- as proposed in wish #16505 -- would be of almost no help to me, because i do not remember unicodes of any non-ascii characters. Who does? Such a ALT-X shortcut is used for instance in the -- yet great -- /Inskscape/ free drawing software. Then, each time that a greek letter or another symbol must be used, we need to find its unicodes in an extra document (most often on internet). It's definitely not handy.
I agree with you here.
It is not a good idea to use such a shortcut that replicates what is already present at the OS level: on linux for example Crtl+Alt+Maj+u allows to type the unicode of a character (like 3BB for λ). Equivalent shortcuts exist under Windows and MacOS.

From my personal experience, my preferred implementation is the one used by Julia: type the LaTeX macro (like \lambda for λ) then Tab and you get the unicode character. I assume implementation something like that in Scilab is quite a lot of work...

Your proposition might be a good compromise between ease of implementation and usefulness.

Cheers,

Antoine