Also, as has been already mentioned, the year version may or may not imply an
actual major version (i.e., changes that imply an important or significant API
change, which not necessarily means backward incompatibility) so to find out it
will be necessary to dive into the change log. The only new information the
proposed version numbering system would give is the year of release which is
only relevant for historical reasons (and anyway can be easily found).
Moreover, for most users (those who use the current version at a given time),
it would be a redundant information since users know the year they live in.

Regards,

Federico Miyara